Summer is right around the corner. With all the things summer brings such as cookouts and kids getting dirty outside, the plumbing in your home will be put to the test. Lucky for you, we’re providing you with a list of things you can do that’ll see your plumbing last the summer season.
Gardening & Lawn Maintenance
Summer is prime time for gardening and lawn maintenance, especially in Florida. From watering your lawn to cutting the grass, there are a few things you should do, or not do, while maintaining your landscape.
- Don’t yank on garden hoses. Doing so can tear up your hose or the hose bib and potentially create a leak leading to a large water bill. More importantly, for those without a water shut-off valve, water will flow chaotically creating a huge mess.
- This one should go without saying, but so many seem to forget. Be careful of what you’re riding over while using the lawn mower. If you have a sprinkler system in your yard, be on the lookout for sprinkler heads. Also, if you have a cleanout drain that is elevated above ground level, make sure you don’t run that over as well.
If you and your family are preparing for a lengthy summer vacation, here’s a tip that will save you money and energy.
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater and turn up the temperature of your refrigerator. Of course before you do the second step, be sure to remove highly perishable items such as dairy, produce and meats.
Florida rain during the summer can be brutal. If you have cracked or damaged sewer lines, this could lead to backups and slow water flow. Make sure to give us a call or schedule an appointment to have a video pipe inspection.
Summer and cookouts go hand-in-hand. With that being said, you need to be careful what you put down your garbage disposal. Here are a few quick plumbing tips.
- Never put fibrous materials or “stringy” foods down the garbage disposal. Such items include corn husks, banana peels and celery.
- Fats and other cooking oils can cause clogs in the pipes and should stay away from garbage disposals.
- Never put instant stuffing, potato mixes or similar “just add water” foods down the drain – They’ll create an instant clog once water is added.
- Pasta, rice and eggshells should also be avoided from entering the garbage disposal or drain
Go Here For More Tips on Garbage Disposal’s
Kids will be playing outdoors more often which means more dirty clothes. Because of this, your laundry room will be put through some serious testing during the summer.
- Inspect washing machine hoses for cracks, leaks or bulges.
- Ensure your washing machine is at least 4 inches from the wall to prevent kinks in the hoses.
- Washing machine hoses should be replaced every three to four years.
- Never leave your home while the washing machine is running.
- Remove dryer lint regularly. Doing so will help you save energy and money.
The best defense to ensuring your plumbing system is in top shape is routine maintenance and inspection. You should also be scheduling annual maintenance inspections to make sure you stay ahead of a problem if one arises. Schedule an appointment or give us a call if you are experiencing any plumbing problems or have any questions.
3031 40th Street
Orlando, FL 32839